I originally posted this recipe three years ago, but I decided it was time to repost and update it with better pictures! We make this soup quite often for lunch (3-4 times a month usually). It’s a favorite with Tad and also with the girls!
This soup is a snap to put together and it always turns out great! I prefer to make it with cream, but if I don’t have any, milk works as well. I never measure anything anymore because I make it so frequently!
- 1 large can (29 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream (this also works with half & half or whole milk, though it won't be quite as rich)
- 1½ tsp. sucanat (or brown sugar)
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- dash of hot sauce
- ¼ tsp. salt
- a few grinds of black pepper
- Garnish options: chopped green onions, croutons, grilled cheese croutons, shredded cheese, etc.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine all ingredients (except for garnish).
- Heat, but do not bring to a boil.
- Serve when warmed through.
- Top with garnishes as desired.
We like grilled cheese croutons as a garnish, which are exactly like they sound. Make a grilled cheese sandwich and cut it into cubes, then toss on top of the soup!
For more of our family’s favorite recipes, click here.